Our Response to COVID-19
An urgent message from the Akelius Tenants Network regarding the COVID-19 crisis.
March 27, 2020 - The COVID-19 outbreak has led to a crisis for Akelius tenants in the City of Toronto. As renters in one of Canada's densest cities, living in buildings with tens or hundreds of other residents, we face added challenges when it comes to social distancing. Many of us have also lost of our main source of income, putting our financial security and our ability to pay rent at risk.
The Akelius Tenants Network is calling on Akelius Canada Ltd., the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, and the City of Toronto to take urgent action and protect tenants' health, safety, and security.
Our demands include:
- Immediate rent relief for tenants facing financial hardship in the COVID-19 crisis
- A temporary suspension of non-urgent construction & renovations during social distancing
- The installation of hand sanitizer dispensers in common areas of Akelius buildings
- Alerting tenants via public notices for positive cases of COVID-19 in Akelius buildings
- Detailed information about health and safety practices in Akelius buildings during COVID-19
Below, you can read our letters to Akelius and to government representatives.
At this time, we are also calling on members of the Akelius Tenants Network to make their voices heard! To help, we've created letter templates that you can use to petition Akelius and policymakers yourselves.
Click on the links below for a template letter that you can send to Akelius Canada or to government representatives.
Alexa SchramaSenior Property Manager - Toronto/Ontarioalexa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelly LeeHead of Akelius North Americashelly.email@example.com
Jordan MilewiczProperty & Business Head at Akelius Real Estate Management Ltd. firstname.lastname@example.org
Pal AhlsenPresident/CEO of Akelius Fastigheter ABpal.email@example.com
- Your Property Manager
- Your MP
- Your MPP
- Your City Councillor